[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Sep 29 10:17:38 UTC 2009

> > 1) Ubuntu really needs more frequent total updates (it is not a
> > long-term stable release).  The Ubuntu system that was on the local
> > library's server was unable to get updates (apt-get would fail -- I
> > ended up manually downloading packages and installing by hand (using raw
> > dpkg commands -- ala using raw rpm instead of yum).
>
> Ubuntu has the LTS releases, which are long term stable releases. They are
> supported for five years after release.
>
> I run Ubuntu along with other Linux distros for various purposes and I've
> never had an update problem with it.  Perhaps that system was pointing to a
> flaky mirror?

I don't really know. The guy who set it up originally was somewhat
unhelpfull.  I'm guessing he didn't use a LTS release and did not really
set things up well.  I took over management of the system without really
any experience with Ubuntu (or Debian).

> Perhaps it is getting trendy to beat up on non-Centos distros here on the
> Centos list?

No, I don't think so,  *I* just had a bad experience dealing with a
Ubuntu setup and had problems dealing with it.  And generally found a
marked *lack* of support from the Ubuntu forums or from the guy who
originally set the system up.  For *me* it was just easier to install
CentOS, and having done so, things just worked better.  I have set up
CentOS for other 'non techies' and things have worked well.