[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Sep 29 13:09:35 UTC 2009

On 09/27/2009 02:57 PM, Drew wrote:
> That's the rule of thumb I see applied to what goes in /srv. In a LAMP
> box for example I'd expect to see the website(and site logs), database
> files, and POP3/IMAP spools stored in srv directories. Machine
> specific data like system logs and email processing spools get stored
> in /var.

well, /srv to me is served and shared storage. So anything on the
network that isnt consumed directly by off-immediate-network clients
using any service would end up there.

To me, thats the best match for usage - most other things, maybe
everything else, has a fairly clear guideline from the LSB. although the
lsb specs are themselves a bit in the air. Lets see if the 3rd or 4th
time they get something done a bit more formally.

- KB