[CentOS] Updating an AntiVirus trougth a proxy (ERROR)

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 14:16:34 UTC 2009

Hi,

2009/9/28 Alberto García Gómez <alberto at ipimtzcm.rimed.cu>:
> Here is my problem
>
> [root at shannon CGPMcAfee]# ./updateDatFiles
> CGPMcAfee DAT files update program version 2.2
> Local avvDAT version is 5726
> Connecting to 'update.nai.com' [72.247.238.178:80] via HTTP protocol...
>  *** failed to connect: socket error
>
> The problem is that I can't change the script and I'm under a proxy server,
> but the updater ignore it. Same happen with others updaters
>
> WHAT CAN I DO?

Ask McAfee/NAI, since they are the providers of that script. I doubt
it that you are their only customer who needs to update behind a
proxy/firewall and it's probable that they have a way to use a proxy
in the request.

Other than that, if you have access to the proxy server you might be
able to set up a transparent proxy, but that is a complex setup that
requires you to really understand your network topology... Or, if that
is possible for you (e.g., you already have NAT setup) you could
choose to open your firewall to allow that one access from that server
to the NAI website only without going through the proxy.

HTH,
Filipe