[CentOS] CentOS 5.3 LDAP problem.

Benjamin Donnachie

benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Tue Sep 29 15:36:44 UTC 2009

I currently have about eight servers running a mixture of CentOS
x86_64 v5.2 and v5.3 but none with the very latest updates.  They all
obtain their authentication information over LDAP and to avoid the
starting message bus hang problem[1], nscd is set to soft failure.

However, yesterday I set up a new CentOS v5.3 server with the latest
updates, but it refuses to get beyond "Starting message bus" if I have
ldap as an option in nsswitch.conf.  The LDAP server is hosted on two
separate machines and this machine has an identical set up to the
others - including soft failure in the nscd config.

If I remove all references to ldap from nsswitch.conf I can get the
machine to boot.  I can then add those entries back, start nscd and
getent works fine.  However, when I start samba it then starts to fail
stating that it cannot find a users unix account - which is clearly
incorrect!

To compound matters, ssh now seems to be locking up; freezing after
requesting a password and eventually dropping connection.  As I am
working off-site for the test of the week I cannot post any further
information at the moment, however, I think that the installed kernel
had a September 2009 compile date.

Does anyone know of any reason why the latest updates could be causing
this behaviour?  I have been unable to find anything relevant in the
list archives or in the forums.

I am under pressure to get this server working and I don't want to be
forced to install Windows, so any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ben

[1] http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2047