[CentOS] Slow printing to HP jetdirect from cups

Peter l Jakobi lists at kefk.oa.shuttle.de
Tue Sep 29 16:30:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:48:07AM -0400, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> I set the printer type as raw and then restarted cups just to make sure
> the change was active.  No effect.  Still have the delays.

Avoid cups for a quick test:

2 ways:

1) get the lprng rpm and extract lpr and lpq to a
directory, both should be usable even with little to no
configuration aside the normal host printing setup. The
nice effect: things like lprng -Plj at host just work, without
adding queues, discovery and other annoyances.

2) just ftp the file to the printer (maybe newer jetdirect
cards also support things like ipp / http as well?).

The 2nd method at least reduces the components being
tested to the raw network connection between two boxes.

And of course, effects due to funny things being printed
(testing with multiple printers and having one set of tests
print a single file run thru gs to produce pcl-3 or higher may
be a good way to detect funny postscript like strange font
embedding (e.g. from the application/library/... on a badly
configured client), or full color for a black&white laser, etc).

--
cu
Peter l Jakobi
lists at kefk.oa.shuttle.de