[CentOS] Mirror After?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 16:49:27 UTC 2009

ML wrote:

> If I put a 1TB HD in my server (because they are on sale this week),
> can I later Mirror to a second 1TB drive without destroying the data
> on the first?
>
> On Windows and OS X, I know I can't do this...
>
> Thoughts?

Partition the disk into one partition of type 'FD' (raid autodetect) Use
mdadm to create a 2 device RAID1 but specify one device as "missing"
and mount the md device instead of the disk partition.  Then when/if you
get a matching drive, create the matching partition and add it to the
raid with 'mdadm --add'.   Personally, I think this should be the
default mechanism when installing but you can't do it at all there.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com