[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:49:41 UTC 2009

Florin Andrei wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> you might want to look into exactly what is ubuntu-support and how that
>> compares with what you get with CentOS. Its not nearly the same thing.
>> To an extent that LTS is mostly considered a nonstarter in most > very
>> small business. Specially where the client is in a position to evaluate
>> their options and work out the implications of what they are getting. It
>> always surprises me how many are not.
>
> I agree with your assessment that Red Hat & Co are still The
> Distribution for enterprise stuff.
>
> They should keep an eye on Ubuntu though, it's gaining ground real fast
> and it's using the best strategy (that worked before for the likes of
> Intel, Microsoft and, yes, Linux in general): they're co-opting the
> low-end first. Things are going to get pretty interesting a few years
> down the road.

Yes, keep in mind that it took many years for Red Hat to get it right
(or what they think is right) and when they did, they stopped
distributing the binaries for free.  Ubuntu should be getting pretty
close to having the support experience they need to be a match - and so
far they have promised that their version will continue to be available
for free.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com