[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 19:55:45 UTC 2009

Ron Blizzard wrote:

>> I've been generally unhappy with my CentOS desktop both at home and at
>> work, when it comes to thinks like sound and video.
>>
>> I'd recommend going with Fedora Core, to be honest.   Much as I love
>> CentOS on my servers.
>
> I like stability over "cutting edge," so CentOS (with multimedia from
> RPMForge) is working fine for me on my desktop and laptop computers. I
> don't hate Fedora, but I don't like the constant updates. But, if I
> didn't have the CentOS option, I'm pretty sure Fedora would be my next
> choice.

Fedora has the advantage to a RHEL/CentOS user of having the same
install/admin tools.  But if you are turning the box over to someone
else, Ubuntu makes much more of an effort to be user friendly.  And they
haven't been quite so bad as Fedora about refusing to admit that
proprietary code exists.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com