[CentOS] Removing xorg stuff

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 22:10:47 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com> wrote:
> Starting to clean out my server.
> I use command line only.
>
> Even though I tried not to install the gnome and x, a lot of stuff did
> install anyway.
>
> In testing the removal process I find I cannot use yum remove due to losing
> to many programs due to dependency.
>
> Trying to remove via rpm -e is nigh impossible as it appears to be an
> unknown chain of dependencies separate from the ones using yum that block
> any way of deleting it.
>
> I am thinking to do a rpm -e and then trying to take out all the dependent
> ones..
>
> However..I am not sure about taking out X since so many items were installed
> with the system and maybe some are needed?
>
> It is obvious that I need to do one or a few files at a time since I can
> find no way to take out the whole xorg package as of yet.
>
> My big fear....is X needed in some way by my server in ways I do not know? I
> use it as a webserver and shell in with no graphic interface stuff except
> those like system-level-security and such...

If yum remove is going to pull a lot of stuff out then most likely
those packages have library requirements from X. In most cases for
people who absolutely do not want X on their boxes, I say install a
minimal system from kickstart. Then install just what you want...
versus the other way around

> No many x installed items deal with lvm and such...scary

Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning