[CentOS] Asterisk and VOIP was Re: CentOS for non-tech user

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Wed Sep 30 17:18:48 UTC 2009

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>>> Don't bother with that, go straight to the source!
>>> http://packages.asterisk.org/
>>> These get updated rather quickly.
>>>
>>> jlc
>>>
>> +1 for this suggestion.
>>
>> Starting out it may be easier to pull packages from a repo if you're not familiar with building from source. BUT, in the long run, you'll need to learn it. When a security >vulnerability is fixed, you don't want to wait any longer than necessary for the package maintainer to get around to updating. Just grab the source and build. Also, the packages >don't always have all the functionality you may require (codecs, modules, etc). There are plenty of docs on how to do this as well as many helpful people on the Asterisk-Users >mailing list.
>>

> You completely misunderstood my suggestion, and actually suggested something I
> learned a long time ago to never do:)
>
> The url as suggested by the name, *is* an rpm package repo. As I said, the
> packager gets these built with new releases and/or kernel updates very fast.
>
> Compiling software and bypassing the package mangler is always a risk for
> trouble down the road. Given the many deps Asterisk may require, its simpler
> to use this repo versus compiling.
>
> An aside as well, I see many people on this list always concerned with vulns
> and patches and always eager to simply `yum update`. FWIW, if the vuln doesn't
> affect you, it's not a vuln for *you*. You may not have the module installed/active
> or in my case, the internet facing exposure is limited to an VSP who I *very much*
> doubt would use my system to dial for free based on one of the recent vulns.
>
> I wouldn't panic about being at risk for vulns *just because* a vuln exists, it
> may not affect you. I had an Ast box running without a reboot or update in almost
> a year cuz I couldn't get the window. Its exposure was so highly minimized that
> it wasn't even a consideration. None of the updates pertaining to stability were
> ever applicable either to my best knowledge so I didn't worry...
>
> jlc

I have a dedicated * CentOS box that shows today as uptime 543 days. I
built from scratch as I needed to support a four port analog trunk card.
This does not have internet access as I'm running it like an old
fashioned PABX -
just with great sip / linux based snom desk phones and all the attendant
wiz-bang super stuff that * provides.

I do want to do an update of it all to latest versions etc. but when it
just keeps working it is hard to justify the down time and potential
hic-ups.
HTH
Rob