[CentOS] Asterisk and VOIP was Re: CentOS for non-tech user

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 18:28:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rob Kampen wrote:
>> >>
>> I have a dedicated * CentOS box that shows today as uptime 543 days. I
>> built from scratch as I needed to support a four port analog trunk card.
>> This does not have internet access as I'm running it like an old
>> fashioned PABX -
>> just with great sip / linux based snom desk phones and all the attendant
>> wiz-bang super stuff that * provides.
>>
>> I do want to do an update of it all to latest versions etc. but when it
>> just keeps working it is hard to justify the down time and potential
>> hic-ups.
>
> If you are very well firewalled and trust all the local users you might
> get away with ignoring security updates but it's mostly a matter of
> luck.  With the stock CentOS components, your downtime for an update is
> normally just a reboot and problems are extremely rare.  If you'd added
> custom or 3rd party code items there's a somewhat greater risk, but it
> is still pretty unlikely that an update would break things - or that you
> wouldn't have heard about other people having a problem.

If I understand Rob correctly here, there is actually no need for a
firewall. He's not on the Internet. He's using analog trunks and SIP
phones in a closed system. He's basically got a traditional key system
or PBX switch that just happens to be based on CentOS/Asterisk.

(Traditional telephone switches have been based on UNIX for years.)

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3