[CentOS] Asterisk and VOIP was Re: CentOS for non-tech user

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 18:56:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ron Blizzard wrote:
>>

>>> Have a look at FreeSwitch as well:)
>>
>> Thanks. I think I looked at it once, but I can't remember what it was
>> about it that didn't attract me at the time. I'll take another look.
>>

> Here's some interesting commentary on why it is likely to become more
> popular than asterisk even though it may take another year.
>
> http://nerdvittles.com/index.php?p=224

Thanks, I've bookmarked it. The only possible issue (I quickly read
the article) is that, by emphasizing software applications I hope they
don't break the TDM hardware interoperability. That's one of the main
attractions of Asterisk for me. I can use it as a standard
(traditional) telephone switch if I want. But I have heard of the
Asterisk bottleneck before. Not a problem for the smaller keys systems
that I'm thinking about, but I can see where it can be an issue when
going bigger. (I'm still on the surface of all of this -- so I'm just
going by stuff that I've read, not by personal experience.)

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3