[CentOS] OT: dmidecode data - what is maximum RAM capacity of this box?

Wed Sep 30 21:27:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> In Timo's thread about RAM  today, I noticed dmidecode and I got the
>> data for my Dell Dimension 2400 (Celeron CPU) box, which is below. I
>
> You running the latest bios for the system?

Probably not. I will ask them if they have a BIOS upgrade for this board.

> According to dell 2GB is the max
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm
>
> Looks like it supports multiple memory speeds, a lot of systems
> can use more total memory if the memory speed is lower(most often
> seen this on Supermicro boards anyways)

Nate: On the Dell URL you provided above, I saw the below data. I see
the 2 GB Max, but they don't show using 1 GB DIMMS.  Not sure where
their error is. I will try to get their Tech Support on the phone in
the morning and ask about a BIOS upgrade and also if I can install
two 512 MB DIMMs or two 1 GB DIMMs.   Thank you!  Lanny

Memory
Architecture
DDR SDRAM

Memory connectors
	two

Memory capacities
	128-, 256-, or 512-MB

Minimum memory
	128 MB shared DDR SDRAM

NOTE: Between 32 and 64 MB of system memory may be allocated to
support graphics, depending on system memory size and other factors.

Maximum memory
	2 GB