[CentOS] du vs df size difference

Clint Dilks clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz
Wed Sep 30 22:44:46 UTC 2009

Ryan Pugatch wrote:
> Marcelo Roccasalva wrote:
>

>> Maybe you have a mount point overlaping big files... du -x will not find them...
>>

> Hey Marcelo,
>
> I am not sure what you mean.. can you give me an example?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ryan

Hi,

He means a situation where you have something this this

You create a partion lets say /dev/hda1 you use it as you / partition
you create a directory called /data and copy some data into it
You then have a second partiton /dev/hda2 and you mount /dev/hda2 off of
/data

This mean that the data originally copied to the /data directory on hda1
is still taking up space on hda1 but you cant see it.