[CentOS] Release 6?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 17:29:26 UTC 2010

On 4/1/2010 12:08 PM, R-Elists wrote:

>> I thought 4 was too buggy compared to 3 and held off
>> upgrading most machines until 5 was out.  In retrospect that
>> still seems like it was a good move even if most of the
>> problems in 4 were eventually fixed in updates.  But with
>> many years elapsing between releases, skipping a version like
>> that may not be possible again.
>>
>> --
>>     Les Mikesell
>
> Les,
>
> what was buggy for you?
>
> internet facing or just internal servers?
>
> centos and the centos team have been rock solid for us in dealing with
> CentOS 4 on our servers.

I can't remember the exact details.  Some of it had to do with mod_perl
and the assortment of other perl modules needed for RT, Twiki, and some
other applications. And maybe the mysql version was wrong for something
I wanted to run.  A lot of the things weren't technically broken, just
not particularly good version choices for their time.  I may have had
some driver problems with a Dell raid controller or firewire too, but I
could be confusing it with Fedora 5 in the same timeframe.  Anyway, as
soon as 5.x was out it seemed much easier to deal with.  There are still
a few Centos 4's in the company that someone else maintains so I guess
they are OK if you stick to the included software and don't need mod_perl.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com