[CentOS] Could not retrieve mirror list while using yum command

Jatin Davey jashokda at cisco.com
Fri Apr 2 05:21:36 UTC 2010

Hi Kwan

I executed the following on the host that was having problem:

[root at localhost yum.repos.d]# wget http://www.google.com
--22:14:25--  http://www.google.com/
Resolving www.google.com... 74.125.19.105, 74.125.19.99, 74.125.19.106, ...
Connecting to www.google.com|74.125.19.105|:80... failed: Connection
timed out.
Connecting to www.google.com|74.125.19.99|:80... failed: Connection
timed out.

Which shows that i am not getting connected to the internet.

Now coming to the second point on whether i am using a proxy or not ? ,
I really dont know whether i am using a proxy or not. When i used a
similar CentOS box on which i was successful in connecting to the
internet i issues the same command as mentioned above and it got
connected and downloaded the web file.

How do i find whether i have proxy configured on the host that is
connecting to the internet ?
If you can guide me through this then i can replicate the configuration
from the above host to the hosts that are not getting connected to the
internet.

Thanks
Jatin