[CentOS] (OT) OpenOffice.org calc chart strangeness.

Bill Campbell

centos at celestial.com
Sat Apr 3 00:19:54 UTC 2010

I am attempting to create a simple line chart graphing three columns from a
soffice-calc spreadsheet.  I expect it to take the leftmost column as the
X-Axis, plotting the others on the Y-Axis, but it always creates an X-Axis
of the row number in the columns, and the first column amongst the data.

I have tried this on OpenOffice.org 3.2.0, NeoOffice(R) 3.0.2 Patch 2,
iWork Pages, and Excel 12.2.4 in Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac.

It does what I expect in iWork Pages and M$-Excel, but not in the
various incantations of OpenOffice.org.

I OO-calc has gone to a fancy wizard thingy that doesn't seem to have any
way to specify details for the X-Axis, and I can't find anything useful in
the on-line documentation.

Does anybody know how one gets this to work in OpenOffice.org?

The Linux tie-in is that I'm getting data from a postgresql database that
lives on a Linux box, and none of the fancy commercial products seem to be
able to use it in their data sources.

On the other hand, I have written a python script that extracts the data
from the postgresql database and creates the pretty reports using groff and
gplot totally on Linux which is faster in any case for my current problem.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.
  -- Herbert Hoover