[CentOS] ssh-agent

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Apr 6 19:48:58 UTC 2010

> On 4/6/2010 2:34 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> On 4/6/2010 2:04 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> That's one of the things it can do.  If you don't like it, use some
>>> other option.  I assume it can feed cron jobs and the like when you
>>> aren't logged in if you want - but I've always just made keys with no
>>> passphrase when I know the commands will be automated.
>>
>> No passphrase? Then why use it?
>
> Because it's as safe as the physical security of the machine and the
> login of the user owning it.

Um, wrong. I could log in from home, then, once I've established the
credentials, ssh from there to anywhere in the system that I can get to.
Everything's set up to not allow root login (except from the console
itself), but....

>> At any rate, that's not going to happen here (or anywhere I've worked):
>> even if I was willing to do that (which I'm not), none of my managers
>> would have allowed it.
>
> So how do they automate things?  I want the computers to work for me,
> not the other way around.

ssh -A
And as I said, unless I've explicitly backgrounded something, I expect
*everything* that's running as me to shut down when I log out. Of course,
I could set up a cron job, but anything that was associated with my login
session should be turned down.

      mark