[CentOS] DHCP server and Windows XP clients : set hostname ?

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 16:10:33 UTC 2010

To set the machine name of an XP machine, right click on My Computer,
select "Properties" from the context menu, now in the properties
dialog select the "Computer Name" tab and click the "Change" button.

I am pretty sure (like 99% sure) XP machines can't be dynamically set
a host name. We are a mostly Windows environment with some CentOS for
file and web severs but our main network management is done by Windows
and I have never seen such an option unless you can hack this together
yourself some how (which I would be very interested to see if you
did).

--
Regards,
James.