[CentOS] NAT/DHCP/DNS/etc Settings from a Windows 2003 Server

David Lemcoe

forum at lemcoe.com
Thu Apr 8 18:57:51 UTC 2010

Hello all. I'm in the process of making a small server farm based mostly on
Windows Server 2003. For simplicity's sake, the only non-2003 server will be
a CentOS 5.4 server running only vsftpd, httpd, and mysqld. My plan is to
have this server in a 2003 Server's network receiving a DHCP address from
the Domain Controller.

Currently, I have two other (non-DC) servers running with no issues on the
domain. NAT works as it should, and internet access is just fine. The CentOS
box on the same network will not receive an IP address (only through static
configuration, the non-DC 2003 boxes have no problem receiving an IP and DNS
settings with auto settings) or get online. Even when defining a static IP
on the CentOS box, there is no Internet access, unlike to the other clients.
My question is, what could be restricting the DHCP and DNS information to
the CentOS host, and why can't I access the internet/NAT forward a web
server?

To summarize, I have four machines involved, all located on the same
network:

   - Machine 1 - Windows Server 2003 Enterprise - Domain Controller, DHCP
   server, DNS server, NAT server.
   - Machine 2 - Windows Server 2003 Enterprise - Domain member, Exchange
   server.
   - Receives DHCP and DNS information with automatic network settings.
      - Has internet access through NAT.
      - NAT forwards ports to this host.
      - Machine 3 - Windows Server 2003 Enterprise - Domain member,
   Sharepoint Server.
   - Receives DHCP and DNS information with automatic network settings.
      - Has internet access through NAT.
      - NAT forwards ports to this host.
      - *Machine 4* - CentOS 5.4 - On same network as other clients, hosts
   web server.
      - Does *NOT *receive DHCP address or DNS information.
      - Has *no *internet access
      - NAT does *NOT *forward correctly.

I am looking for a solution to get the CentOS server on the network like the
other clients.

Any assistance on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

David