[CentOS] Kernel panic due to vg00 not found while not using LVM at all

Peter Blajev

pblajev at ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 9 08:05:45 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have a system running CentOS4.8.

Last month I installed the latest updates including kernel 2.6.9-89.0.23
and rebooted the system. It has been running for almost a month.

Last night I updated the system again which updated only a few packages:
openssl, tzdata, curl,vixie-cron and logrotate.

No new kernel or anything out of ordinary. The reboot after the update
stopped with kernel panic:

--<snip>--
Making device-mapper control node
Scanning logical volumes
   Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
Activating logical volumes
Volume group vg00 not found
ERROR: /bin/lvm exited abnormaly!
Creating root device
--<snip>--
After that it's trying to mount root and it fails with kernel panic.

This system is using disk partitions. It's not using LVM.

I can boot in rescue mode and "chmod /mnt/sysimage". All partitons are
there and mountable. No fsck errors. I checked /boot/grub/grub.conf and
it looks fine to me. The time stamp was from last month when I did the
first update. Also there are no new files in /boot since the update from
last month.

Why is it looking for logical volumes? Any idea?

Thanks
Peter