[CentOS] ulimit [SOLVED]

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Sun Apr 11 14:49:04 UTC 2010

>> I know it works because I just tested it and it survived the server's
>> reboot. I ran "ulimit -a" and the new value was there.
>>
> ...from a login shell.  If you don't have a login shell /etc/profile
> isn't read on bash startup.

In my case, I am doing the change because of Samba. When you run
tesparm, the lastest versions of Samba give the following warning:

rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)

When I add the line "ulimit -n 1024" to /etc/profile, the warning
disappears, even after a reboot.
So, this certainly works for processes running as root.

But you are right in that it will probably depend on the particular user
requirement.