[CentOS] 12-15 TB RAID storage recommendations

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Tue Apr 13 18:45:28 UTC 2010

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> Rebuild times especially on busy arrays with large discs take lots of
> time...

Unless you have a good storage system..

a blog entry I wrote last year:
http://www.techopsguys.com/2009/11/24/81000-raid-arrays/

Another one where I ripped into Equallogic's claims:
http://www.techopsguys.com/2010/03/26/enterprise-equallogic/

Just checked my array again, nearly 200,000 RAID arrays on it,
makes for a massively parallel many:many RAID rebuild for fast
recovery times with *no* service impact.

Course this stuff may be out of the OP's budget, but just keep in
mind that there are such systems on the market.

IBM XIV is another such system, though it's scalability is too
limited to be useful IMO (~180 drives max).

You'd have to pull my toenails out with a rusty pair of pliers
before I go back to crap storage.

nate