[CentOS] Slightly OT: which hardware for CentOS file server (Samba, 2 To storage, 50 users)?

Jobst Schmalenbach jobst at barrett.com.au
Wed Apr 14 01:48:04 UTC 2010

its always strange to see that people want "cheap servers".
Let me tell you it will NEVER pay off.

50 people will kill a low end thing, especially if
you want to do software based RAID, the throughput
that is required by that data coming in and out will
make you users VERY unhappy and then say CentOS is crap.

You need at least some XEON based motherboard, proper ECC
RAM and HARDWARE RAID, anything else will not work.

That said you can buy decent motherboards from the lower
end of INTEL server boards, put a decent CPU into it and
get one of the 4 channel Adaptec cards, splitting data
and OS onto separate raid channels, they got 2 GB network
cards so you can split the throughput in half.

I know this works because the small school that I look
after has that setup.

jobst