[CentOS] CentOS5 and samba

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Fri Apr 16 14:25:44 UTC 2010

Christoph Maser a écrit :

>> We're trying to migrate RHEL3 and CentOS4 based samba servers over to CentOS5,
>>  but it's a bleeding disaster. We cannot get it to work reliably with any
>>  version of CentOS5, i386 or x86_64, the included 3.0.x version of samba or
>>  3.4.x/3.5.x compiled from source.
>>
>>  The symptoms are: read access is extremely slow, write access seems to work
>>  in principle (e.g. creating a zeros-sized file on a share), but writing even
>>  small files (100k) to the share eventually times out with "out of memory or
>>  disk space" errors. These shares are home directories NFS-mounted on the
>>  samba server. Shares of local disks work fine as expected.
>>
>>  We have played with oplock settings and got some improvements, but not
>>  reliably, and this seems to effect XP and Seven clients differently.

We're running a CentOS 5 Samba server in our local town hall, mostly
Linux clients, but also the odd XP machine, with a simple configuration:
one open public share, then a series of protected shares.

http://www.microlinux.fr/doc_en_stock/samba.html

Until now, folks seem to appreciate the setup as "vachement rapide"
(something like : furiously fast).

I have to add that standard servers like Samba, Apache, MySQL, NFS, ...
never (ever) gave me headaches with CentOS. That's why I'm using this
fine distro.

</propaganda>

Cheers from the sunny South of France.

Niki