[CentOS] Java RE

Agile Aspect agile.aspect at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 18:22:14 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Michael Klinosky <mpk2 at enter.net> wrote:
> Hello.
> Package Manager reports (with a green checkmark) that I have java-1.6.0
> installed on my machine (running Cent 5.3), but it seems to not be
> running. I used http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml and got
> "Something is wrong. Java is not working."
>
> Perhaps I'm confused on which program I need to use java-coded apps. PM
> lists this app as "OpenJDK Runtime Environment" - is this it?
>
> [mykolas at sr1220 ~]$ rpm -q jdk jre
> package jdk is not installed
> package jre is not installed
>
> Can someone explain, or provide a link to a particular webpage that
> would clue me in?

There's Java HowTos on the CentOS Wiki

    http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS

I use Sun's JDK, so the following may or may not work in OpenJDK.

The JAVA_HOME here is Sun's JDK:

   ln -s $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10/plugins/libnpjp2.so

You'll probably have to create the plugin directory under firefox -
and your version of firefox may be different.

On my machine, I linked

   /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10/plugins  -> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

then linked the Java library to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

Restart your browser and you should see

   libnpjp2.so

as the Java plugin.

--