[CentOS] Strange new boot problem with CentOS 4 machine

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 14:27:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at buc.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, the symptom of refusing to power back on seems to
> indicate a hardware problem.  I had a similar issue that turned out to
> be a bad power supply.

Thanks everyone, this doesn't appear to be a CentOS issue.

I went into the BIOS setup screen and watched the built-in hardware
monitor for a while (hadn't previously realized it had this).  It
showed normal temps and PS voltages but reported that the PS fan is
running slightly slow (1600RPM, though I'm not sure what it *should*
be) ... and then after three minutes, it shut down.  Voltages and
temps never wavered so I'm not sure why the slow fan would result in a
shutdown, but it clearly doesn't have anything to do with kernel
modules.