[CentOS] vmware-server-console not installed

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 17:13:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Benjamin Franz <jfranz at freerun.com> wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Does anyone else think it is extremely strange that Red Hat introduced
>> an incompatible base library change late in the life of their enterprise
>> OS?  Or that VMware hasn't followed with a matching change in subsequent
>> updates?  I don't get it
>
> VMware appears to be intentionally slow-motion killing their VMware
> Server product in favor of ESX/ESXi. They declined to publish needed
> security updates for Server in the latest round and if you check the
> lifecycle support web page they say "VMware Server was declared End Of
> Availability on January 2010. Support will be limited to Technical
> Guidance for the duration of the support term." They also are not
> offering support contracts for it as far as I can see.
>
> I wouldn't count on any meaningful updates for it.
>
> --
> Benjamin Franz

According to the VMware support page
(http://www.vmware.com/support/policies/lifecycle/general/), for
VMware Server 2.0 the end of General Support is 2011/06/30.

I agree that they are exceedingly slow on updates, but it'll still be
around for a while. I'm sure a new version will then come out, as they
still have to compete with other free offerings, and it's a nice
entry-level solution where people will eventually upgrade to a paid
version.