[CentOS] how to reroute all ADSL traffic via another server on the internet?

Simon Billis simon at houxou.com
Wed Apr 28 13:37:49 UTC 2010

Simon Billis sent a missive on 2010-04-28:

> Rudi Ahlers sent a missive on 2010-04-28:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone know, if it's possible to reroute all (i.e. HTTP / FTP /
>> DNS / SMTP / POP3 / IMAP / etc) from an ADSL connected machine via
>> another server, which is currently hosted with IS and has full
>> internet access?
>>

>> i.e. Can I setup another machine, on a different public IP than the
>> dynamic ADSL IP as default gw? OR do I need todo something on that
>> machine to work as a router for such a setup?
>>
>> Both servers in this case is CentOS linux, but I'm sure that won't
>> make a big difference?
>>

> In principal yes you can do this type of thing. You'll have to enable
> ipforwarding on the gateway machine as a minimum.
>
> Can you provide more information about your networking setup - ip
> addresses and subnet masks, with an ascii drawing as well would help
> if you think it relevant :-), then we can provide detailed answers :-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon.

Sorry miss read your post - you can do what you're after, but this is a
proxy in this case.... i.e. the remote box is acting as a proxy for your
adsl connected server. If you're wanting to route all the traffic from your
adsl connected box to the remote server, then I would look at using a VPN
between the boxes.... you might be able to use squid on the remote server to
be your proxy also.

S.