[CentOS] [GLUG-tech] Re: how to reroute all ADSL traffic via another server on the internet?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 17:15:12 UTC 2010

On 4/28/2010 9:24 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM, zerlgi<zerlgi at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>   Probably the easiest VPN to set up, but not terribly secure, is VTun.
>>
>> If you use (horrors) PPTP, then windows already has a client for it.
>> .. openVPN also has a nice Windows client that can be run as a service
>> at startup or called on demand.
>> .. openVPN supports multiple tunnels (one per .cfg file)
>> and can allow/disallow client-to-client traffic   (something you'd
>> probably want to do)
>> ... so that if you have several companies connecting as clients to
>> your server (traffic redirector)
>> then they wouldn't be able to travel back down the VPN to a different client.
>>
>> ... in terms of implementation. e-box has one of the easiest OpenVPN setups.
>> it provides a self-extracting installer file to windows clients that
>> includes the configs and the client application.
>> Linux folk should be able to figure out where stuff goes.
>> (/etc/openvpn /usr/local/etc/openvpn)
>>

> Unfortunately I can't download&  install OpenVPN on that box, so this
> won't be an option.
>
> Thanx for all the suggestions though.

The quick-fix is to run ssh with it's built in socks proxy mode,
assuming you have an ssh login on a better-connected host.  If you 'ssh
-D portnumber user at remote_host', you can then configure socks-aware
applications to use localhost:portnumber as a socks proxy and the
application's connections will appear to originate from the remote side
of the ssh connection.  The down side is that you have to use
socks-aware applications or get a generic proxy client library preloaded
before the app.

A VPN with appropriate routing would do it transparently, but would need
to be installed and configured at both ends to work.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com