[CentOS] vmware-server-console not installed

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Wed Apr 28 18:16:55 UTC 2010

>Running the VMware converter
>tool from an old Dell Win2k server with an IDE disk to produce an ESXi
>image went through the motions but the image wouldn't boot - but doing
>the same thing to a vmware server (v1) image file over a network share
>worked.  Has anyone seen that before?

Never used Server, but I use ESXi and I know what your issue is: Mass Storage
Drivers, you need to make sure the Critical Device Database is populated with
the driver in the destination system, such as an LSI SCSI or SAS and that that
service start type is set to "boot".

Install the driver then add it to the crit dev db in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\

Follow one of the necessarily existing PCI#VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx for syntax.

Change the Service Start Type:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nnnn

>From probably 4 to 0.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/103000

I use the LSI SAS for everything...

jlc

Ps. I think the current version of ESXi allows an ide controller to avoid this...