[CentOS] vmware-server-console not installed

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 18:17:07 UTC 2010

On 4/28/2010 12:55 PM, JohnS wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 12:39 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> Running the VMware converter
>> tool from an old Dell Win2k server with an IDE disk to produce an ESXi
>> image went through the motions but the image wouldn't boot - but doing
>> the same thing to a vmware server (v1) image file over a network share
>> worked.  Has anyone seen that before?
> ---
> Well for those that must have a Windows OS heres the hack:
>
> You must go to microsoft.com search for the tools to allow that.  What
> it does is Relax The Windows IDE Checks so the disk or image can be used
> as a VM or on other hardware.  You must also have the same ACPI Options
> in your hypervisor.
>
> This must be done before you use the vmware tools to create the image.

Thanks - I assumed it had something to do with the old style bios
geometry because I can boot the VM with a linux rescue disk and see what
I expect, but the boot loader can't find it.  What seems odd to me is
that it works fine when the conversion is to a VMware server image file
but not when going directly to ESXi (which I'd expect to be smarter).  I
haven't tried it yet, but I'll bet that I can run the converter again,
using the .vmx as the source and ESXi as the target and it will work
without any changes to the windows OS.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com