[CentOS] how to reformat a partition to ntfs?

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Aug 2 12:47:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 12:56:14PM +0100, Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
> On 2 August 2010 11:14, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> > I believe that's incorrect.  One often first needs to boot into Linux
> > and use fdisk to remove or reformat (in fat32 or ntfs, if possible).
>
> Have you actually installed Windows?  The installer will happily
> delete any partition, even if it does not recognise it, and recreate
> it as NTFS/FAT.

Yuppers, and run into that problem.  IIRC, it usually happens with some
older OEM disks.  Or, it might be pre SP2, or perhaps pre SP3.

I see that MS does give instructions for using Linux fdisk--whether it's
still an existing issue or not, I don't know.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314458/EN-US

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Jenny: You're here again? You kids really dig the library don't
you?
Buffy: We're literary.
Xander: To read makes our speaking English good.