[CentOS] CentOS 5.5 latest revisions seem really slow

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 23:36:03 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 11:46 PM, JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Latest version for CentOS 5.5 is
> openoffice.org-writer-3.1.1-19.5.el5_5.1
> Where did you obtain 3.2 from?  That may be your slowness as on my 64
> bit workstation I see none at all.  Loads in about 3 secs.

I have been using releases direct from OOo, but on the off chance that
this was the problem, and since 3.1.1 isn't that far behind 3.2, I
"updated" to the CentOS release.  There's still a problem, though - it
doesn't happen all the time, but every so often, apparently at random,
some mouse click command will just stop for 10-30 seconds before it
does anything.  The first one I hit was doing a File->Open Recent -
while I was running the mouse down the list, it stopped on the one
above the file I wanted for about 12 seconds before it loaded the
file.

> evolution-2.12.3-19.el5:
> Now Evolution on my 32 bit workstation I have 1555 emails in it and it
> is not slow, 8 different email accounts also, especially even though it
> is GUI based instead of console.  About every 2000 mails I back it up
> and start over again from 0.

Same version here.  This only seems to happen once in a blue moon -
probably not the same issue.  I eventually gave up, killed the
Evolution processes (because it wouldn't exit normally or allow me a
force-quit) and restarted.  No problems after that, except a delayed
startup and the usual duplicate messages from those I had moved before
it died.

> Converting a *.doc file to *.pdf only takes about 3 secs.  What type of
> Graphics card you have?  Yea I know weird question but can cause your
> problem also.

I was just editing a *.odt file - no conversions, and the problem
doesn't seem to be related to the operation invoked, just getting the
invocation to take place.

nVidia GeForce 7200S, but I'm not seeing this anywhere else, just OO.

> Looked at your memory usage? Is it swapping by chance? #free.  Have you
> looked at top while using those apps?  What about spamd in Evolution?
> Disable all non needed services.

Did most of that (except spamd in Evo) and nothing showed up in top -
the big CPU hog was SeaMonkey at 23% of one core, the others were all
idle or lower use.  Almost no swapping:

$ free
                      total          used            free     shared
 buffers     cached
Mem:       4050968    4022184        28784          0     152404    2700584
-/+ buffers/cache:       1169196    2881772
Swap:      8008392           348    8008044

Don't see a problem here....

Thanks.

Mark