[CentOS] who uses Lustre in production with virtual machines?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Tue Aug 3 16:11:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin
<centos.admin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/3/10, Lars Hecking <lhecking at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>>  What do Gluster or Lustre offer that the builtin Red Hat Cluster Suite
>>  does not?
>
> Being a noob admin, I'm not sure and still haven't decided fully on
> which way to go, largely because it seems the technologies of choice
> are both still maturing (gluster + non-Solaris ZFS).
>
> I don't know about Rudi's requirements but in my case, having an
> easily expandable and high availability storage with minimum switch
> over time that's decoupled from the VM host machines is the objective.

This is exactly why I'm considering it :)

> >From what I understand, I cannot do the equivalent of network RAID 1
> with a normal DRBD/HB style cluster. Gluster with replicate appears to
> do exactly that. I can have 2 or more storage servers with real time
> duplicates of the same data so that if any one fails the cluster does
> not run into problem. By using gluster distribute over pairs of
> server, it seems that I can also easily add more storage by adding
> more pairs of replicate server.

I'm thinking more in the lines of network RAID10, if it's possible?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com