[CentOS] CentOS 5.5 latest revisions seem really slow

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 04:30:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 16:01 -0700, Mark wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Mark <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 7:54 AM, JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> What is your running kernel? Newest.  Asking because it may be that your
> >> problem is machine independent as a client of mine on a Compaq had the
> >> same problem 6 months ago.  Fix it I just removed the new kernel so it
> >> use the prior one.  One kernel showed the problem and one did not.
> >>
> > $ uname -a
> > Linux marichter 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jul 1 19:04:48 EDT 2010
> > x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >
> > I may go back one to see if that makes a difference....
> >

> Went back to 2.6.18-194.3.1 and there are no delays, no pauses, no
> hesitations....
>
> I'll have to go look through the release notes, now.
---

You can do:
rpm -q --changelog kernel >> changelog.log   \
rpm -q --changelog kernel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 >> changelog.log

To view the changelog for patches and BZs Applied to the kernel or any
rpm.  As in load up the newest one and run the command.  I see a lot of
changes between the newest one and the one (194.3.1) that you tried and
said solved it.  I would creep on up in versions to the newest one you
can run with out the problem then file a bug report with a good
description of the problem and type of hardware also (i think important
for your problem).

John