[CentOS] When should LVM be used?

Michael Simpson mikie.simpson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 10:35:21 UTC 2010

On 31 July 2010 14:52, Drew <drew.kay at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there any reason to use LVM on a personal desktop install of
>> CentOS? It seems to me, for my purposes, that LVM is just a pain in
>> the neck -- although I've always just let CentOS set it up during the
>> install in the past.  I would like to be able to use parted to resize
>> partitions when I want to, and also I'd like Vector Linux to be able
>> to read and write data to the CentOS partition. Would I be missing
>> something by not installing LVM, or is this mostly for server purposes
>> anyhow?
>
> LVM adds flexability that regular partitioning can't.

Just to add some more info to the conversation.
Yesterday i found out that if you have a modern SSD and are planning
on using RHEL6 or CentOS6 then LVM will not support the "TRIM" ATA
command thus there will be a significant decrease in the write
perfomnace of the drive with time. Linux swap will use it but the only
way to enable this feature is if your partitions are native ext4 and
you use the "discard" option.

Thus TRIM will not be enabled by a default install except for swap space.

mike