[CentOS] Dogs, trolls, and neighborly free/open source

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Wed Aug 4 11:47:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 12:56:47PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I'm Middle Eastern and I subscribe to the list to search it, not to
> ask redundant questions. I'm still a noob and I did recently ask a
> question that I could not google, but your generalization is a bit
> broad.
>
> I should also note that Middle Easterners may likely subscribe more to
> the "help your neighbour" philosophy than the "dog eat dog"
> philosophy, which means that we might feel freer to ask a voluntary
> community such as this one than might a Westerner. That's a cultural
> difference, not Hadi being rude. Simple culture clash. Don't be so
> quick to judge him.

Yes, the initial comment about Middle Eastern people was "a bit broad."
Apologies that anyone would say that here.

So is the notion that "help your neighbor" is more Middle Eastern and "dog
eat dog" more, what, American? The Middle East currently has Al Qaeda,
Hizbolla, Hamas, the Taliban, the IDF ... all embracing a philosophy for
which "dog eat cog" would be too kind a label. I'm sure from some
perspectives the same thing can be said of US and NATO forces in the area.

On the other hand the free, open software community came out of the more
free and open societies of the West, and a tradition of neighborly sharing
that goes back to barn raisings and village greens and a whole bunch of
customs which aren't "dog eat dog" at all.

The problem with Hadi isn't cultural. He's a troll, posting to many lists at
once questions that he's made up to annoy people - he can't possibly need to
install a Red Hat partition on CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu all at once. We
have Western trolls too. The trick is not to respond to them.

Best regards,
Whit