[CentOS] who uses Lustre in production with virtual machines?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 12:46:41 UTC 2010

Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:

> ZFS is a local file system as far as I understand it. It's by Solaris
> but there are two efforts to port it to Linux, one through userspace
> via Fuse and the other through kernel. It seems like the Fuse approach
> is more matured and at the moment slightly more desirable from my POV
> because no messing around with kernel/recompile needed.

I thought the GPL on the kernel code would not permit the inclusion of less
restricted code like the CDL-covered zfs.  For a network share, why not use the
OpenSolaris or NexentaStor versions since you wouldn't be using much else from
the system anyway.

> The main thing for me is that ZFS comes with inode/sector ECC
> functionality so that would catch "soft" hardware errors such as a
> flaky data cable that's silently corrupting data without any
> immediately observable effect.
>
> It also has RAID functionality but I've seen various reports of failed
> zpool that couldn't be easily recovered. So my most likely
> configuration is to configure glusterfs on top of zfs (for the ECC) on
> top of mdraid 1 (for redundancy and ease of recovery)

Snapshots and block-level de-dup are other features of zfs - but I think you'll
lose that if you wrap anything else over it.  Maybe you could overcommit an
iscsi export expecting the de-dup to make up the size difference and use that as
  a block level component of something else.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com