[CentOS] Introduction and request for help with virtualization

Kevin Chang

kico.chang at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 15:30:42 UTC 2010

Good morning everyone.  This is my first post to this list. I am very new to
Linux so please bear with me. Also, English is not my first language so
please excuse me if I am unclear.

I am trying to install CentOS Linux operating system in a virtualization
setup. I have already built four host machines with CentOS 5.5 and KVM
virtualization. I can install fine if I do a manual installation. I am now
trying to automate the process.  To this goal, I have create multiple LVMs
inside my new volume group. The name of the volume group is vmstorage_vg.
The problem occurs when I try to run the installation.

I found a script via google:

#!/bin/sh

virt-install \
-n calcnode01 \
-r 1024 \
-f /dev/vmstorage_vg/calcnode01 \
--cdrom=/software/iso/CentOS-5.5_x86_64-boot.iso \
--accelerate \
--vnc \
-x "ks=ftp://192.168.0.101/pub/ks/calcnode01.ks ip=192.168.0.101
netmask=255.255.255.0 dns=192.168.0.20 gateway=192.168.0.1 text
console=ttyS0"

When I start this script from the SSH terminal it starts but I cannot see
anything being installed.  I entered the virsh console and see the
calcnode01 entry if I do a list.  If I try to connect using virsh I do not
see anything.  The kickstart was created from the anaconda file created from
the manual installation. I enabled the options to create the filesystems.

I think the installation is waiting on some input but I cannot see any
console.  I have tried with and without the "console=ttyS0" option.

Thank you everyone for your time.