[CentOS] mirrors down?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Aug 5 15:21:19 UTC 2010

> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > On 08/05/2010 02:44 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> >> Just went to update a couple systems this morning, and first one machine
> >> took nearly 15 min to find the mirrors (and it should be getting it all
> >> from our own repo, actually), and then the next one showed about 8-10
> >> mirrors down, including Harvard and VCU. Anyone know what's going on?
> >
> > debugging yum issues is almost always best done from your local client
> > instance. Running yum with -d9 would be a good place to start from.
>
> I do not believe it's a local yum issue. I tried to point firefox to
> http://mirror.harvard.edu, not exactly an obscure mirror, and it times
> out. As I work for an agency of the US gov't, and we have *fat* pipes,
> it's not likely to be on our end.
>
> >From yum -d9 update:
> <snip>
> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
> http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/mirrors-rpmforge error was
> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (110, 'Connection timed out')>
> <...>

I can fetch http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/mirrors-rpmforge just fine on
my dialup connection via localnet.com

> http://mirror.umoss.org/fedora/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
> 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>

And I can fetch
http://mirror.umoss.org/fedora/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml as well

> Trying other mirror.
> http://mirror.vcu.edu/pub/gnu%2Blinux/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>

And I can fetch
http://mirror.vcu.edu/pub/gnu%2Blinux/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml

These are all with Firefox.

You might want to double check things at your end.  If *I* can fetch
these URLs with a low-end funky dialup connection, I would guess that
the *servers* are fine.  Something else is wrong.  Maybe someone did
something screwy with a firewall or router somewhere?  Or maybe a router
has just gone bad.