[CentOS] CentOS to RedHat and vice versa

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 15:56:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 08/05/2010 03:24 PM, Kwan Lowe wrote:
>> I've seen posts that RHEL ->  CentOS is at least possible. That is,
>> take a RHEL system and get it to update via YUM and CentOS
>> repositories.  I have not seen the reverse, however.
>
> you might want to speak with your Red Hat  support / sales guys as well,
> going down that route might cause them to get upset ( or not be liable
> for support )

:)  Yes, that is a concern.  For good or bad, I don't use their
support offerings too often. Their turnaround time is 24 hours, and
just about every technical question I've had has been much more
thoroughly dissected here on this list. The switch to an official
RHEL4 is mainly for procedural compliance. I.e., bring it under
Satellite control so that we can manage patches and generate reports.
Luckily it is a VMWare machine so my intention is to clone the CentOS
image, do all the conversion work, then attempt to register it.