[CentOS] Dogs, trolls, and neighborly free/open source

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 17:14:28 UTC 2010

On 8/5/2010 10:54 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>> I co-moderate an ancient beginners' list on yahoo--we have something
>> like that, but it's almost useless.   They say they read it, they even
>> have to type something halfway intelligent to join the list, but
>> really don't seem to have actually read the FAQ.
>
> Ah, but then, instead of slamming them, we can just deluge them with the
> FAQ....

But what's the point?  When you give away good, free stuff, people are
naturally going to ask for more.  The part I have trouble understanding
is that while it seems perfectly acceptable to be dumb about most coding
languages and ask for a canned routine to do something you are too lazy
to write for yourself, the same does not apply to shell commands even
though there is not much inherent difference in complexity.  Is it just
that coders are more willing to share their work than administrators
even in cases where it is equally reusable?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com