[CentOS] Dogs, trolls, and neighborly free/open source

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Thu Aug 5 18:17:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 02:02:51PM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Mike, you seem to be misunderstanding - the lusers, like Hadi (sp?), are
> asking us to do their work for them, not help them to learn what they need
> to do it themselves.

	It goes beyond that.

	The issue that sparked this long thread was the *repeating*
	nature of the support leech; not an isolated incident.  Most
	people understand the first time it is pointed out to them
	that looking around on their own to find resolutions to their
	problems before falling back to this, or other similar lists,
	is of mutual benefit to not only the list(s), but more importantly
	themselves as it permits them to be more self-sustaining and
	self-supporting.

	Hadi had been asked, repeatedly, to at least make a minimal
	effort on his own; to date there has been *no* evidence of that
	happening.  Not even once.  So eventually enough becomes enough
	and people get snappish.  And considering the audience of this
	list it's not remotely surprising that this is the case - many
	of us, I dare to say *most* of us, have learned to do our own
	research and not be as dependent upon others to support us.  Why
	should this not be required of everyone?

	The world is full of what seems an entire generation of people
	that possess an air of entitlement from those around them and
	expect people to instantly drop what they are doing and do
	their jobs / school assignment / etc for them.  Their are
	entire linux distros that, sadly, compound this problem.

	And, to be perfectly blunt about it, this is not helpful for
	anyone.  We need more independent and self-supporting people
	in this world, not yet more consumers and leeches.

							John

--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit