[CentOS] CentOS 5.5 : Installing Sources where theyare visibletosystem(VBOXdriver install)

Sun Aug 8 16:01:20 UTC 2010

JohnS wrote:
> rpm -qa | grep kernel
>
> Look here that is *NOT* what you need!
>
> I'm listing all of them to make sure you are up to date...of which you
> are not...
>
> yum update kernel kernel-headers kernel-devel
> Reboot the Machine to make sure your on the newest kernel.
>

> Now for VirtualBox Run This to Compile the driver as root:
>  /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
>
> Now your done...
>
> John

As I have already indicated, the process is not as seamless as everyone
seems to think it is from a basic upgraded virtualbox.

Thanks for the rpm clue, however, I evidently already have the headers
installed and the setup command still fails.  I need to know what to set
KERN_DIR to since that much be the piece that is breaking the process.

Here is the result of running the commands that you listed previously:

[sysadmin at comcserver1 tmp]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5
kernel-devel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5
kernel-headers-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5
kernel-2.6.18-194.el5

[sysadmin at comcserver1 tmp]$ sudo yum update kernel kernel-headers
kernel-devel
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
 * addons: mirrors.finalasp.com
 * base: centos.mirror.netriplex.com
 * extras: mirror.vcu.edu
 * rpmforge: apt.sw.be
 * updates: mirror.anl.gov
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

So if the installed kernel is not a properly updated kernel, then why
does it not wish to further upgrade?

Here is repolist:
sudo yum repolist
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
 * addons: mirrors.finalasp.com
 * base: dist1.800hosting.com
 * extras: mirror.vcu.edu
 * rpmforge: apt.sw.be
 * updates: mirror.anl.gov
repo
id
repo
name
status
addons
CentOS-5 -
Addons
  enabled:      0
base
CentOS-5 -
Base
enabled:  2,599
extras
CentOS-5 -
Extras
enabled:    333
pidgin
Pidgin for RHEL/CentOS 5 -
i386
enabled:    266
rpmforge
Red Hat Enterprise 5 - RPMforge.net -
dag                                          enabled: 10,344
updates
CentOS-5 -
Updates
enabled:    416
virtualbox
RHEL/CentOS-5 / i386 -
VirtualBox
enabled:      9
repolist: 13,967

I have restarted a second time, after removing the virtualization group,
and the module compile worked.

However, I am still unclear as to why the kernel-headers were installed
and it was not detecting them.

Also, how would I have resolved this issue of invisible sources and
headers if it had not just magically started working.

I also read just now, how the xen kernel, as installed with
Virtualization, will not work well with VBox so maybe that was it,
however, how would that cause the setup script not to see the installed
sources and headers?

Do I need to restart the system when the headers and sources are installed?

Even though it is now working, I am still unclear why it wasn't, and why
it is now resolved.

--
Respectfully,

Martes G Wigglesworth