[CentOS] preupgrade

Charles Campbell

Charles.E.Campbell at nasa.gov
Thu Aug 12 14:22:36 UTC 2010

Hello!

Just thought I'd present this problem for comment/help/hints:

* want to upgrade from Fedora Core 11 to 13
* I have a 64-bit system with Vista as a host o/s, running VMWare, and
FC11 as a client o/s
* cloned my FC11 as a backup
* ran preupgrade, got expected problem with 200MB /boot, but preupgrade
said that it could continue downloading (presumably to the larger
partition) so I did
* preupgrade told me to reboot, so I did
* began upgrade process; ran Test.  First oddity: Test said it was
testing media for FC10 , but test passed.
* Problem#1: after test finished, upgrade wanted me to install a disk.
There is no such disk -- preupgrade put the upgrade information mostly
into /boot, I presume.
* had to shutdown the upgrade process
* rebooted (I figured I'd try skipping the test this time)
* Problem#2: not running upgrade, instead just does a normal boot into FC11

In inspecting /boot, I see a fair amount of upgrade info there.   The
help for this indicates that I should be using grub to select the
upgrade; there is no grub since FC is running as a virtual machine client.

At this point I'm considering downloading FC13, writing DVDs, and doing
a new virtual client.  I was hoping to avoid all that, especially as my
FC11 has never recognized the DVD writer drive, so I'll end up having to
do it from another machine.

Regards,
Chip Campbell