[CentOS] problems with yum_priorities on CentOS5/RHEL5

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Thu Aug 12 16:06:02 UTC 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Nick wrote:

> To: centos at centos.org
> From: Nick <oinksocket at letterboxes.org>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] problems with yum_priorities on CentOS5/RHEL5
>
> On 10/08/10 17:52, Keith Roberts wrote:
>>> 1. yum check-updates and yum update do *not* warn you of an impending
>>>    unresolved dependency caused by YP hiding the required package.
>>>
>>> It seems the only way to find out is if you go ahead and try and perform the
>>> update, which potentially leaves you with one or more broken packages.
>>> This seems a serious flaw that should be fixed.
>>
>> Not necessarily so.
>> I use '[root]# yum -y --skip-broken update' and this only
>> updates the packages that have no depsolving problems. Any
>> packages with problems are left out of the update.
>
> Ok, but this isn't a solution, if the broken dependency is related to something
> you care about.  It just the easiest possible resolution to implement.
>
>>> 2. Not only do higher priority packages totally eclipse lower priorities,
>>>    whatever version, but yum_priorities also makes it seem like they aren't
>>>    even present.
>>
>> Well you can enable all your repos with:
>>
>> [root]# yum --enablerepo=* --disablerepo=Cmedia5 update (or
>> whatever the DVD media repo name is).
>>
>> I have Centos 5.5, ATrpms, EPEL and remi repos all working
>> reasonably well using yum-priorities plugin.
>
> I do wonder why the problem I've had isn't seen more often, as
> perl-Module-Install (the package which requires the eclipsed package,
> perl-Archive-Tar) is quite a common dependency of Perl packages.
>
> However, whether this problem manifests itself would depend on what packages are
> installed, not just which repositories are enabled.  Maybe you're just lucky (or
> I'm unlucky), and don't need perl-Module-Install.
>
> Cheers,

I don't seem to be using that package:

Available Packages
Name       : perl-Module-Install
Arch       : noarch
Version    : 0.92
Release    : 1.el5.rf
Size       : 156 k
Repo       : rpmforge
Summary    : Standalone, extensible Perl module installer
URL        : http://search.cpan.org/dist/Module-Install/
License    : Artistic/GPL
installer for Perl
            : modules.  It is designed to be a drop-in
replacement for
            : ExtUtils::MakeMaker, and is a descendent of
CPAN::MakeMaker.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: