[CentOS] Problem resizing partition of nfs volume

Dan Yamins

dyamins at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 21:56:49 UTC 2010

Hi:

I have an NFS volume that I'm trying to resize a partition on.

Something about the fdisk process is corrupting something on the drive

Before running fdisk, I can mount the volume find:

$ mount /dev/sdo1 /home

... and the volume is mounted fine.

And,
$ e2fsck -f /dev/sdo1
/dev/sdo1: clean, ...

But then I run fdisk to rewrite the partition table of this drive, to expand
the /dev/sdo1 partition w/o losing data:

$ fdisk /dev/sdo
# Type 'd' to delete the primary partition
# Type 'n' for new partition
# Type 'p' for primary
# Type '1' for 1st
# Type Enter for 1st cylinder
# Type Enter for last cylinder (full disk)
# Type 'w' to finish

Calling ioctl() ...
Syncing disks ...

But then something has gone wrong.

$ e2fsck -f /dev/sdo1
e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdm1 ...

And I can't mount the volume any more:
$ mount /dev/sdo1 /home
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing a step of the process?

Thanks!
Dan