[CentOS] Date drift and ntpd

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 03:03:09 UTC 2010

Warren Young wrote:

> The strategy I recommended is based on the fact that its worst case
> behavior (a small negative jump every hour) is not a problem for me.  If
> it is a problem for your application, you need a different design.

It's a bad idea in the general case.  If you have scheduled jobs, ntpdate may
jump the clock enough to miss the trigger or run them twice, where ntpd always
tries to move the clock fractional seconds at a time so as not to let that
happen.   Plus, ntpdate does no sanity check at all - if the clock source is
badly off, the client will follow blindly even if it goes to the wrong century.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com