[CentOS] Yum broken after x86_64 upgrade

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 00:20:41 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 5:16 PM, listmail <listmail at entertech.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 19:57:04 -0400, Robert Heller wrote
>> At Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:09:13 -0700 CentOS mailing list
>> <centos at centos.org> wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>> Is there really an updater that goes from 32-bit to 64-bit?  Or is
>> it a CentOS 5.3 64-bit to CentOS 5.5 64-bit?
>
> Well, the system was 32-bit, and it came up running a 64-bit kernel after the
> upgrade...
>
>> I don't believe you *really* don't want to do a 'live update' from
>> 32-bit to 64-bit.  You should make a backup and do a fresh install of
>> the 64-bit system.
>
> That's the way I'm leaning...

It might help if you gave us some real information, like what hardware
you're running, which actual version of CentOS and the kernel you are
(and were) running, etc.  Otherwise we're stabbing for a needle in a
haystack.

I don't ever remember running a 'yum update' when I was using the
32-bit version and having it update me to a 64-bit kernel.  I had to
make that choice on my own first.

Mark